Information for Students
Ohio ABLE programs provide FREE services for individuals who need assistance acquiring the skills to be successful in post-secondary education and training, and employment. Local programs offer classes at flexible locations, and on different days and times to meet diverse needs. All students are required to attend orientation, where an assessment is given to help determine the individual’s educational needs and goals.
Services available at programs throughout all 88 Ohio counties include:
- Basic math, reading and writing skills
- Adult Secondary Education/GED preparation
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
- Transition services – including employment and post-secondary
- Life skills, employability skills and computer literacy
- Family Literacy – enriching the parental role of adult learners
- Workplace Literacy – education services offered in collaboration with business, industry, government and/or labor to increase the productivity of the workforce through improved literacy skills
- Corrections Education – a partnership with a jail, detention center, community-based rehabilitation center or other similar institution
- Distance Education
Information for Administrators
Ohio’s ABLE program continues to be one of the best performing in the country, ranking in the top 10 of several performance indicators in FY 2011, including students entering employment upon completion (2nd), placement in post-secondary (3rd) and GED completion (7th), and also ranking 11th overall for enrollment.
This section houses information and forms for local program administrators, coordinators, teachers and volunteers. If you are a teacher seeking instructional and professional development resources click here.
- Forms & Reference Materials – Policies and documents related to accountability, best practices, distance learning, English literacy and civics education, professional development, stackable certificates, standards and benchmarks, and transitions.
- Friday Facts – Past issues of the newsletter from the state ABLE staff.
- Grants – RFPs and information related to the English Literacy/Civics, Innovation, and Instructional grants.
- Meetings – Materials from previous statewide meetings and conferences.
- Program Directory – An alphabetical listing of Ohio ABLE programs and other resources.