College Credit Plus | FAQ

Students & Families FAQs About Resources for Administrators

Frequently Asked Questions

New FAQ regarding IRN reporting – see Section C, #20 below
  • Section A: Students & Parents
  • Section B: Homeschool & Non-public High School Students & Parents
  • Section C: School District & Postsecondary Institution Administrators


Section A: FAQs for Students & Parents

1. Can I participate?

If you are an Ohio student in grades 7-12 you can apply for College Credit Plus admission to any Ohio public or participating private college. The college will admit you based on your college-readiness in one or more subject areas. Your school counselor can help you understand your options, deadlines, and how to proceed. You may not participate in the College Credit Plus program beyond your anticipated high school graduation date.

2. How can College Credit Plus benefit me?

College Credit Plus provides more options for you to pursue rigorous academic coursework beyond the high school classroom. Under College Credit Plus, you can complete your freshman year of college or more, or explore college content that interests you. Earning college credits while you’re in high school can reduce the time and cost of attending college after high school.

3. Where can I take college classes?

Some college courses offered under College Credit Plus may be offered at your high school. You may also travel to the college where you have been admitted or enroll in one or more online courses offered by that college.

4. My high school has a formal arrangement with a local college to offer College Credit Plus. Are those the only courses I can take?

No. After you are admitted to a college, you can take any courses offered by that college that you are college-ready to take. Also, each Ohio high school has developed two sample pathways – one leading to 15 credits and another to 30 credits. These should be included in your high school’s course offerings. However, students have no obligation to take courses identified on a pathway or to complete a pathway. Students  can take courses offered in person or online by any public or participating private college in Ohio.

5. Will College Credit Plus grades appear on my high school transcript?

Yes. High school credit awarded for courses successfully completed under College Credit Plus will satisfy or exceed the graduation requirements and subject area requirements of the school district. Courses successfully completed under College Credit Plus must be listed by course title on the high school transcript. All College Credit Plus courses will be computed into the GPA using the same scale as Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate courses in your district, based on the common subject area - not curriculum -  of the weighted advanced standing class/course.

6. How does College Credit Plus impact athletic eligibility?

If you are a student athlete, you must remain eligible in accordance with the Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA) bylaws. To be athletically eligible, students must be passing five, one credit courses or the equivalent per grading period with the high school and college courses combined. Most College Credit Plus courses taken during a semester will equal one Carnegie unit, allowing students to earn more than the required five for athletic eligibility. Please check with your counselor to ensure that the course work you are taking is compliant the OHSAA.  

7. What are my academic and social responsibilities?

You will be expected to follow the rules and regulations set by the college/university. You will also be expected to follow the rules and regulations set for high school students detailed in the student handbook. Once enrolled, you are eligible to receive advising from campus-based support services of that institution. Additionally, you will continue to have access to your school counselor and all other resources available to high school students. Participation in College Credit Plus does not guarantee you admission to college after high school. You should follow the regular undergraduate application process for whatever college you plan to attend after high school.

8. What courses are available through College Credit Plus?

Once you are admitted to a college for College Credit Plus, you may take any course in the college’s course catalogue that is not remedial or religious, and that applies toward a degree or professional certificate, in a subject area in which you are college-ready. 

9. Who pays for college admission, textbooks, required course supplies, and fees?

  • CCP students from public or non-public high schools who attend a public college are NOT required to pay for college course tuition, instructional tools, or supplies under any circumstances. However, homeschool students are responsible for providing their own instructional tools ("books"), but not tuition or course-required supplies.
  • Secondary (high school/district) schools are responsible for providing instructional tools ("books") for their CCP students. The postsecondary institution must waive fees for these students and is also responsible for providing supplemental supplies required by the course syllabus.

  • Students choosing to attend a private college may be charged by that college, depending on where the course is delivered, and in accordance with state law. Although the amount charged to CCP students by a private institution may vary, in academic year 2017 the maximum will be $158.50 per credit hour.

  • Students who qualify for the free and reduced lunch program may not have to pay costs to attend a private college. Please talk with your counselor for details.

  • A school district or nonpublic school may seek reimbursement from students/families under the following two circumstances: 1) If the student receives a failing grade at the end of the college course; or 2) If the student withdraws from or drops the college course subsequent to the 14th calendar day after the particular course began, unless the student is identified as being economically disadvantaged in accordance with Ohio Administrative Code 3333‐1‐65.6(B)(2).

10. Is the postsecondary institution supposed to bill the high school for books?

Yes. In some cases, colleges have created a voucher system for students to use to assure accuracy in the subsequent high school billing. Other colleges have made arrangements with high schools or districts to purchase an inventory of certain books at the high school for students to borrow during the course term.  
Since all supplemental supplies required by the course syllabus are provided by the college, some campus bookstores also have a way of tracking those purchases. 

  • Colleges and high schools/districts likely will have communicated and planned on behalf of their shared students. 
  • Colleges should communicate to CCP students if there is a particular purchase system in place with the student’s high school or district; or if notification of the student’s participation in College Credit Plus needs to be provided to the campus bookstore.  
  • High schools often rely on the college to provide the student the book from the campus bookstore, and then invoice the high school/district once the academic term begins.

11. Who provides transportation?

Responsibility for transportation rests with the student.

12. What happens if I fail a class?

Classes failed or withdrawn with an “F” will receive an “F” on the high school and college transcripts and will be computed into the high school and college GPA. If you do not receive a passing grade, the district may, in some instances, seek reimbursement for the amount of state funds paid to the college on your behalf for that college course. The school district may withhold grades and credits received for high school courses taken until reimbursement has been made.

13. Is the college credit I earned in high school through CCP guaranteed to transfer to another postsecondary institution?

Thanks to Ohio’s Transfer to Degree Guarantee, many entry-level courses earned at an Ohio public college are guaranteed to transfer to any other Ohio public college. Credits earned at private colleges, or those that you want to transfer to an out-of-state institution, will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis by the institution you are seeking to attend. Go to the Ohio Transfer to Degree Guarantee website to learn more about credit transfer among the state’s public institutions of higher education. This tool allows you to find the best pathways to completing your degree and launching a successful career. Earning college credit will not affect applications for financial aid/scholarships limited to entering freshmen.

14. Can I Take courses during the summer?

Beginning summer 2016, the College Credit Plus Program will include courses taken during the summer term. The summer term will apply as the first term of the next school year. If you want to participate during a summer term, you must submit your letter of intent to participate early enough (between February 15 and April 1) to apply and gain admission to the college and register for course(s) in the spring. Many college summer terms begin in May.

15. Is every student previously admitted to PSEO automatically admitted to College Credit Plus at the same institution? Does PSEO information automatically convert to College Credit Plus?

No. Students must reapply to the college(s) they wish to attend regardless of previous PSEO or dual enrollment experience. There is no conversion from PSEO to College Credit Plus.

16. How do college courses earn me high school credit?

College Credit Plus allows high school students to earn college credit and apply that credit toward their high school graduation requirements. Successful completion of a three or more credit-hour college course will result in 1.0 Carnegie unit earned at the high school. A two credit-hour college course will earn students 2/3 of a high school credit and a one credit-hour college course will convert to 1/3 of a high school credit. 

17. How are high school graduation requirements affected?

High school graduation requirements will not be waived as a result of participation in College Credit Plus. You will not receive a diploma until after the course is successfully completed and the graduation requirement is met. However, you may participate in the graduation ceremony if proof is presented that you are progressing satisfactorily one week prior to graduation.

18. Does a student have to be an Ohio resident to participate in College Credit Plus?

The funding associated with College Credit Plus is a combination of secondary school foundation funds (for public school students) and funds allocated from the Ohio budget (for nonpublic and home school students) and college/university state share of instruction (SSI). The CCP legislation addresses the state share of instruction (SSI), foundation, and state allocated funds in Ohio Revised Code 3365.07. Public colleges only receive SSI for Ohio resident students that meet law and administrative requirements as set forth in ORC 3333.31 and OAC 3333-1-10.

The CCP legislation does not exempt a student from the Ohio student residency requirements in Ohio Administrative Code 3333-1-10. Therefore, colleges/universities must verify Ohio residency for each CCP participant (as they do for all college students). If the student is not an Ohio resident based on “Rule 10,” then the student cannot participate as a CCP student. He/she can enroll but it would be outside of the CCP program. The colleges/universities have the responsibility to inform the student in advance of the need to either drop the course before the census date or to pay for the course on his/her own.

19. If a student takes more than 30 credit hours in a year, what is the student/family responsible to pay?

Please see Section C #23 for more information.


Section B: FAQs for Homeschool & Nonpublic High School Students/Parents

1. Are private high school and homeschool students eligible for College Credit Plus?

Yes. College Credit Plus is an opportunity available to all 7-12 grade students who are accepted into the program by a college or university within Ohio. The program operates in much the same way, regardless of what high school a student attends. However, students attending a private high school and homeschool students must apply to the Ohio Department of Education to receive funding to underwrite their costs. Please check the main College Credit Plus page for information, forms and updates.

2. My child is a junior at a nonpublic high school. She is enrolled in CCP and was planning to take 18 hours of credit at a local college during the 2015-2016 school year. She only received 3 hours from the state. Can we self-pay for the other 15 hours?

Your child may certainly self-pay for additional college courses beyond what the state was able to fund under College Credit Plus (CCP). However, those additional courses/credits are considered to be beyond the CCP program. Therefore, your student’s high school will not be required to provide your student with all of the benefits of the CCP program for those courses/credits “beyond” the program. Although tuition for the CCP courses will be paid for by the state, the tuition for any additional courses will likely cost your student the college or university’s regular tuition. A public college or university cannot offer an adjusted tuition rate unless the Chancellor has authorized the institution to do so. A private institution may adjust its tuition at its discretion..

3. Who pays for books and other miscellaneous supplies if the student is homeschooled or attending a nonpublic school? 

The secondary (high school/district) schools are responsible for providing the instructional tool ("books"). The postsecondary institution is responsible for providing all supplemental supplies required by the course syllabus ("fees"). Under no circumstances are public or nonpublic school CCP students required to pay for college course instructional tools or supplies. However, homeschool students are responsible for providing their own instructional tools ("books") but not the course-required supplies. 

4. Why can't a nonpublic or homeschooled student who was accepted to a college, but was not funded by the state, still participate? 

The distinction rests in who is eligible to participate in College Credit Plus (CCP) and what is required for a student to participate in CCP.

A student is eligible to participate in CCP if student is:

  1. an Ohio resident
  2. enrolled in a secondary school (high school).

An eligible student may participate in CCP if the student

  1. applies and is admitted to a college/university and is placed in a college credit-bearing course
  2. is funded by the state or is funded but chooses not to accept state funds when students similarly situated in the same district are funded.

The CCP program requires the use of state funds to pay student tuition, and requires colleges and high schools/districts to comply with many quality and student benefits. In order to assure that those quality and benefit measures are satisfied, a student’s participation in the program is dependent on the state-funded tuition.

Nonpublic and homeschool students are funded through state allocations that are designated for each group. This year, the demand for the CCP tuition awards far exceeded the supply of available funds. A student who was not state-funded for a particular number of requested college credit hours is not prevented from taking those college courses; however, if she chooses to take the college courses, she cannot do so as a CCP participant.

Therefore, a high school student taking college courses outside of the CCP program cannot be guaranteed all of the benefits of the CCP program, and a public college or university cannot offer an adjusted tuition rate unless the institution has already been authorized by the Chancellor to do so. A private institution may adjust its tuition at its own discretion.


Section C: FAQs for School District & Postsecondary Institution Administrators

1. Are schools responsible for transportation or transportation costs?


2. Under the "3 credit hours = 1 Carnegie unit" formula, 30 credit hours of College Credit Plus equals 10 HS credits. Do high schools have to count all 10 or can they limit these to the number of bells offered to non-CCP students (7 periods/day)?

High schools must award all 10 credits. Student attainment of high school credit cannot be limited due to their participation in the College Credit Plus program.

3. Some school districts used to charge a fee for dual enrollment (either from the college or from the high school). Can they charge a fee to students for College Credit Plus? 

Schools may not charge a fee to students who are taking College Credit Plus at an Ohio public college. There may be a limited charge for those students who attend an Ohio private college. Dual enrollment practices currently underway are not part of the College Credit Plus program. CCP will become operational in the 2015/16 school year. 

4. Are school districts required to host a CCP course at a local high school, or is it okay to have students participate in courses only at a partnering college/university? 

School districts are not required to host College Credit Plus courses within their district.

5. How do I submit my CCP Student Rosters to ODHE/ODE for tuition payment from the participating districts/schools?

The College Credit Plus (CCP) Data for Payment webpage explains the file layout and data definitions, and also contains a link to the website that institutions should use to upload student rosters to ODHE/ODE for payment. 

6. If a high school student meets all HS graduation requirements before the end of his or her senior year, is the school district still responsible to pay for that student's College Credit Plus college courses?

Yes. Students are allowed to participate in College Credit Plus for all four years of high school.

7. Are students allowed to take college courses that are not aligned with a degree? For example, if a student wanted to take a physical education course? 

Yes. All students who participate in College Credit Plus are required to meet Ohio’s high school graduation requirements and can use credits earned at the high school, at the college, or a combination of the two. A student may choose any (non-remedial) course s/he is qualified to take that is in a college course catalogue and that applies toward a college degree or workforce certification.

8. Is every student previously admitted to PSEO automatically admitted to College Credit Plus at the same institution? Does PSEO information automatically convert to College Credit Plus?

See question 15 in Section A, above.

9. Can a school district still require CCP students to complete certain courses at the high school?

No. High schools cannot require students to take certain courses either at the high school or at the college.

10. Why should school districts pay for college courses if students can take a class at their local school that satisfies the graduation requirements?

College Credit Plus courses provide students with both college and high school credit, simultaneously. Courses taken through College Credit Plus also satisfy high school graduation requirements.

11. What happens if a college course does not meet all of the standards/expectations of a student's HS graduation requirement? (Example: a three-hour college composition course to replace English 12)

Under College Credit Plus, any college course in a given subject will by definition satisfy a high school graduation requirement. When an institution of higher education admits a student, they are certifying that the student has the prerequisite high school-level academic skills needed to be successful in that college course.

12. Can high schools determine which College Credit Plus courses are appropriate substitutions for the district's graduation requirements? 

No. High schools cannot determine which College Credit Plus courses are appropriate substitutions. School counselors should make recommendations based upon the student’s career path.

13. Can CCP courses in American History, American Government, and Physical Science/Biology meet the graduation requirements?

The requirements for high school American History, American Government, Physical Science and (in some instances) Biology is that high school students take the end-of-course examinations and satisfy the accumulated point requirement.

College Credit Plus courses, in the subject area, will satisfy the graduation requirement of American History, American Government, Physical Science and Biology; and the college course grade earned under College Credit Plus will substitute for the end of course exams as follows to quantify student graduation point requirements:


College Credit Plus Grade Ohio Graduation Points
A or B 5
C 4
D 3


14. Does the financial literacy requirement for HS graduation still apply to students who take courses through CCP?

Integrating the concepts of financial literacy and economics remains a required activity of each school. It is not a student graduation requirement. Under College Credit Plus, a student may take a college social science or humanities course and that will satisfy the social studies graduation requirement. As in all cases under CCP, there is no allowable “curriculum match” analysis between a secondary class and a college course. A college course, in the subject area, will satisfy the student’s graduation requirement in that subject area.

15. Is the College Credit Plus meeting mandatory if a student wishes to participate in the program? 

While students and parents are strongly encouraged to attend their high school’s College Credit Plus information session (scheduled prior to April 1), attendance is not mandatory for College Credit Plus program participation. Additionally, the high school MUST provide counseling services to students and parents in accordance with Ohio Revised Code 3365.04(B), and both parent and student MUST sign a form acknowledging that they received the high school’s counseling prior to CCP participation. A high school (or district) may schedule a designated CCP counseling meeting for parents and students and notify parents and students of the time and location of the scheduled meeting; however, the parents’ and students’ attendance at the designated meeting cannot be a mandatory requirement for CCP student participation. The high school must allow the parent and student to schedule an alternative time or mechanism for receipt of the required counseling.

16. Can school districts or high schools incentivize students to take AP classes instead of College Credit Plus by changing the grading scale for AP classes, such as making the “A+” worth 12 points, “A” worth 11 points and “A-“ worth 10 points?

No. There are three advanced standing programs recognized by Ohio law: Advanced Placement (AP), College Credit Plus (CCP) and International Baccalaureate (IB). Ohio Administrative Code Section 3333-1-65.2 (B)(7) prohibits a practice that disadvantages a student who chooses to participate in one advanced standing program over another advanced standing program. Therefore, if a district or high school creates a different grading scale for Advanced Placement (AP) that weights a student’s “A+” grade greater than an “A” grade, since it is not common practice for postsecondary institutions to award “+”or “-“ grades, then the higher grade scale must be applied to the grades of college students under College Credit Plus. Otherwise, students who choose to participate in College Credit Plus would be disadvantaged.

17. Can the high school require teacher recommendation for participation in College Credit Plus courses?

No. High schools may not place any restrictions upon student participation in College Credit Plus, including requiring high school teacher recommendations. Each institution of higher education sets its own standards for measuring students’ college-readiness. Each institution of higher education applies its admission standards and selects data to be considered.

18. Can a high school "block" a student from participation in CCP if school officials feel s/he is not prepared or not performing well, even if s/he tests as college-ready? Can a building implement its own requirements for which students will be allowed to test?

No. Schools cannot enact participation requirements beyond those stated in law. However, school counselors should work with parents to discuss options and share teacher feedback as families consider the College Credit Plus option.

19. When a school district purchases college books for students taking CCP courses, can the district require those students to return the books upon successful course completion? Alternately, if the student wants to keep a book after they complete the course, can the school district request that the student pay for it?

Absolutely! The prohibition against charging students pertains to a charge creating a barrier for CCP student participation. If purchased by the district, the district will own the educational tool (book) and certainly if the student does not return it, or unreasonably damages it so that it cannot be used by another student, the student can be required to purchase the book from the district. The district may also offer students the opportunity to purchase the instructional tool after the course.

20. Which district IRN should be reported for JVSD/career-technical students in the College Credit Plus Student Data File submitted by the Institutes of Higher Education (IHE)?

The IHE should submit all students in the CCP Student Data File using the DISTRICT IRN of the “home” school. In conjunction with data submissions to the Ohio Department of Higher Education and the Ohio Department of Education, the payment will be deducted from the correct entity based on the percentage of time the student is enrolled at each location.

21. Does a student have to be an Ohio resident to participate in College Credit Plus?

Please see Section A: Parents & Students, #18 above.

22. If an institution of higher education wants to charge a tuition rate that is different than the regular tuition credit hour rate for students who are registered for more than 30 hours or for nonpublic/home school students who did not receive enough allocated units, what does the IHE need to do?

In order to offer a waiver of tuition for a student or class of students at a public institution, the institution must submit a Tuition Waiver request to the Chancellor of the Ohio Department of Higher Education. Public institutions should submit their requests well in advance of the upcoming academic year.

Please refer to this website for additional information.

23. If a student takes more than 30 credit hours in a year, what is the student/family responsible to pay?

Students who register for more than 30 credit hours will be responsible to pay for the entire course that placed them over the 30 hour limit. Because that class is “outside of CCP,” public institutions of higher education must charge their regular tuition rate, unless obtaining a Chancellor approved tuition waiver. It is very important to note that students must be informed of the fact that they are over the 30 hours prior to the course starting date. Institutions of higher education must inform the school of all student registrations with a pre-term notice at least 14 days before the course begins. Secondary schools must review the notice (or multiple notices if students are registered with more than one institution) to determine the number of hours for which a student is registered. If the student is over the 30 hours, the school must inform the student of the option to drop the course before the census date or continue with the course as a “self-pay” student at the regular tuition rate.


For institutions of higher education who want to offer a discounted rate for students, please see FAQ Section C #22 for details on Tuition Waivers.

24. How should grades be weighted when the grading scales at the secondary school and the IHE do not match/align (e.g., high school utilizes plusses/minuses but college/university does not)?

The highest grade that is achievable on the grading scales should have equal weight. For example, if the high school’s highest grade is an A+ and that equals 5.3 on the high school weighted scale, then a student earning an A in a College Credit Plus course will earn a 5.3 weight as well. (Weighted courses in same subject area.)