|Become an Educator||Educator Preparation Institutions||Transparency & Accountability||Resources|
Measuring the Performance of Educator Preparation Programs
Ohio recognizes that high-quality teachers come from high-quality teacher preparation programs. To help improve the quality of educator preparation programs in Ohio, H.B. 1 of the 128th General Assembly directed the Chancellor of the Ohio Department of Higher Education to develop a system for evaluating Ohio’s educator preparation programs (ORC section 3333.048).
The Metrics Report requirements were developed in collaboration with the leaders of both the public and private educator preparation programs. Approved Ohio Educator Preparation programs are required to complete the report between October 1-November 30, annually.
Access to the Metrics Reporting System is restricted to two designees per institution. Changes to the designees can be made by submitting a letter from the Dean of the College of Education to MRS-Admin@highered.ohio.gov.
PDF reports for the state, institution level, and individual licensure programs are posted each year.
Components of Educator Preparation Metrics Reports
The Ohio Department of Higher Education works with the Ohio Department of Education and higher education institutions to collect data on the following identified metrics for the annual reports:
- Licensure Test Pass Rates
- Ohio Teacher Evaluation System (OTES) Results of Program Graduates
- Ohio Principal Evaluation System (OPES) Results of Program Graduates
- Value-added Data (EVAAS)
- Candidate Academic Measures Considered for Program Admission
- Field/Clinical Experiences
- Pre-Service Teacher Candidate Survey Results
- Resident Educator Survey Results
- Principal Intern Survey Results
- Principal Mentor Survey Results
- Employer Survey Results
- Resident Educator Persistence Data
- Excellence and Innovation Initiatives
- National Accreditation
Limitations of the Report
- Due to Ohio's ordered school-building closure and subsequent emergency legislation addressing the coronavirus pandemic-related issues (House Bill 197 of the 133rd General Assembly), OTES/OPES and Value-Added data will be limited or not available. Additionally, during this challenging time, the distribution of some surveys were delayed, contributing to lower response rates.
- Licensure pass rate data are from the Title II Report for 2018-2019 and reflect information for initial licenses only.
- Principal licensure pass rate data are reported by each institution and have not undergone the rigorous verification and matching process required by Title II.
Uses of the Report
The Educator Preparation Performance Report permits the public to view the aggregate data for all graduates statewide and by institution and program area. School districts and charter schools can use the report to make informed decisions about hiring; students interested in pursuing educator preparation programs can use the report to make decisions regarding which program to attend; and institutions of higher education can use the report to inform continuous improvement efforts, program planning, and research. These data will also assist state and institutional leaders in identifying trends to guide the development of targeted improvements in educator preparation programs throughout Ohio. The Ohio Department of Higher Education will continue its current practice of regularly convening representatives from schools, colleges, and departments of education to review the report data and format and to continuously address improvement opportunities related to emerging research and information learned from key state and national efforts.
Educator Preparation Provide (EPP) Performance Report Schedule