What is it?
The Nurse Education Assistance Loan Program (NEALP) provides financial assistance to Ohio students enrolled for at least half-time study (or accepted for enrollment) in an approved Ohio nurse education program. NEALP provides funding for nurses who intend to serve as instructors as well as students who intend to serve as nurses after graduation.
NEALP Application Process:
- FAFSA Completed
- Create NEALP Web Account (New users only)
- Log In to NEALP Web Site
- Application Period
- Apply for NEALP - Accept Legal Agreement
- Completing NEALP Application
- Review Application Information
- Print and Mail Paper Application
- Application Reviewed by Administrator
- Application Results Notification
To apply for a Nurse Education Assistance Loan Program (NEALP) loan, please be sure to complete all of the following steps:
Be sure that you have completed your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (2015-16 FAFSA) and submitted it to the United States Department of Education (USDOE). If you have not yet completed your FAFSA, please go to http://www.fafsa.ed.gov to complete your form. You cannot complete a NEALP application without submitting the FAFSA. The Ohio Board of Regents receives this information from the USDOE 14 days after you submit your data, and will store your information in our database.
You must create a NEALP web account. Click the button "Get NEALP Account" on the left side of this page. You will be taken to a screen where you will submit your email address as your username and create a password. If the username is valid, you will receive a link to a secure web page via email (sent to the previously submitted email address). Click on the link in that email to continue to create your account. Once you click submit, you will have a NEALP account. All these steps must occur before you can access the NEALP application. If you do not receive your email you can return to the welcome page and log in with your username and password.
Once you have a NEALP web account you may log in to access your personalized NEALP web site. On this site you will see a button to Apply for the NEALP. Click on this button, and you will be taken to another web page where you will choose to complete an application for the current application period, or, if applicable, return to a saved application.
The NEALP application period runs from January 1st to July 15th each year.
If you are filling out the application for the first time, upon clicking on the button to apply for the NEALP, you will be shown a legal statement regarding the NEALP. You should read this information and click “I Accept” if you choose to apply for the NEALP. Your co-signer, if applicable, should also be aware of this information. If he or she would like a copy of this information, you will be able to print a copy of it from your personalized Web site.
Upon clicking“I Accept,” you will be taken to the online NEALP application. The following steps refer to completing the application:
- Items 1-5: This information is already on file in our system and cannot be changed on the application. If you need to make changes, use the link on your Personalized Page.
- Item 6: Enter your citizenship status. If you are an eligible non-citizen, you will be asked to enter your alien I.D. (if you have one).
- Item 7: Enter your state of permanent residence. To be eligible for NEALP you must be an Ohio resident. Enter the month and year you became a resident.
- Item 8:Enter your driver's license number and the state of issue.
- Item 9: Choose yes or no. If “Yes”, you must explain in the comments field.
- Item 10: (Prefilled)
- Item 11: Choose your current education goal from the drop down list. Enter your anticipated graduation date.
- Item 12: Choose Yes or No. If “Yes”, select the programs you have completed and enter your date of graduation or completion.
- Item 13: If you are currently a licensed nurse, select your license. If not, choose “None.”
- Item 14: Select the college you plan to attend. The colleges listed in the drop down box are based upon your current educational goal. The colleges and universities, and the degrees or certificates offered, are based upon the approved list of nursing programs from the Ohio Board of Nursing (http://www.nursing.ohio.gov/education.htm).
- Item 15: Select your current grade level for the academic year for which you are applying for the NEALP. If you choose other, you must provide an explanation.
- Item 16: Your expected family contribution is taken from your FAFSA data and is not displayed for security reasons.
- Item 17: Enter two personal references. They may not live at the same address and must be Ohio residents.
- Item 18: If you are under 18 and/or have unfavorable credit, you require a co-signer for your loan. Enter the name of an Ohio resident to be your co-signer. The co-signer, along with yourself, will be responsible for the loan if you go into repayment or default.
- Item 19: If you are applying for a loan with the intent of becoming a nurse educator (MNE - Master's of Nursing Education), you MUST fill out the letter of intent to do such.
Once you have completed your application, review it for corrections or errors. At this time, once the application is submitted, your information (with the exception of your name, address, school and anticipated degree) cannot be changed.
Upon clicking submit, you will need to print a copy of your application and fax (614-752-5903) or mail it to: The Ohio Board of Regents, NEALP Program Manager, 25 South Front Street, Columbus, Ohio, 43215, no later than the postmarked date of July 15th. If your application requires a co-signer, both you and the co-signer will be required to sign and date the paper application, and provide your SSN for verification.
Your electronic NEALP application will be reviewed by the NEALP Program Manager. You will receive an email notification when it has been reviewed. You will also receive an email notification when your printed application is received.
You will be notified by email of your status of acceptance or denial for NEALP funding by the first week of September. Our office cannot release award information over the phone.
How do I contact the NEALP Program Manager?
- Toll Free Phone: 1-888-833-1133
- Email: NEALP Program Manager