The Ohio Chancellor of Higher Education is responsible for assuring the continued quality of educator preparation programs that lead to Ohio licensure or endorsement; verifying that educator preparation programs meet state mandates, standards and requirements; developing education program guidelines and enhancements that continuously increase quality and rigor; and reporting on the quality of Ohio educator preparation programs to the public.
Proposing New Educator Preparation Licensure Programs
Ohio Administrative Code establishes national accreditation as a pre-requisite to program approval. All educator licensure preparation programs must be approved by the Chancellor before enrolling students. Periodic review of license and endorsement programs will occur on a schedule determined by the Chancellor and to coincide with national unit accreditation review. The table below describes the categories of proposal and review, in addition to the Ohio Department of Higher Education (ODHE) process, requirements, and fees required. Fees apply only to non-public or out-of-state institutions.
|Category||Description||Process & Requirements||Timing||Fee|
|New Ohio Licensure Preparation Program: State Program Review||Proposal for any program not currently holding Chancellor approval||
||During Spring or Fall Submission Window prior to enrolling any candidates in program||$1,000|
|Continuing Ohio Licensure Preparation Program: State Program Review||Proposal for continuing Chancellor approval||
||During Spring or Fall Submission Window prior to expiration of current Chancellor approval||$1,000|
|Continuing Ohio Licensure Preparation Program: CAEP Review with Feedback Option||Proposal for continuing Chancellor approval||
||Submission timing as required by CAEP accreditation process||$0|
|New or Continuing Ohio Endorsement Preparation Program: State Program Review||Proposal for any new or continuing program leading to Ohio educator endorsement||
||During Spring or Fall Submission Window prior to expiration of current Chancellor approval or prior to enrolling any candidates in a new program||$500|
|Continuing Ohio Licensure or Endorsement Preparation Program Holding Full SPA Recognition: Limited State Review||Proposal for continuing Chancellor approval; available only to programs holding SPA-recognition without conditions||
||During Spring or Fall Submission Window prior to expiration of current Chancellor approval||$200|
|Continuing Ohio Licensure or Endorsement Program: Off-Cycle Document Review||Any report requiring review outside proposal process||Arrange materials with ODHE on as-needed basis||As-needed||$500|
|Educator Preparation Provider for Ohio Licenses or Endorsements: On-Site Accreditation Visit||Fee for OBR representation during on-site accreditation visit||Written communication to ODHE as notificaton of scheduling site visit||Six months prior to on-site visit||$500 per person per day|
Program Proposal Submission Process
The Ohio Department of Higher Education has developed an online program review and approval system for all new and continuing educator preparation programs leading to an Ohio educator license or endorsement. Using the online submission process, institutions answer questions, provide information, and upload files, e.g. curriculum vitae, syllabi, programs/courses of study. A User Manual is available online for the system.
To begin the process, institutions submit an Initial Inquiry, which asks a brief set of questions designed to help ODHE assign an institutional mentor that will guide the institution through the program submission process.
Once an Initial Inquiry has been submitted, ODHE will confirm receipt of the submission and assign an institutional mentor within seven business days of receipt of the Initial Inquiry. The institutional mentor will contact the institution's primary contact within 14 business days of the Initial Inquiry submission to discuss the forms, process, and fees (if applicable) necessary to complete the review.
- User Manual: Online Program Review and Approval System
- Reading Endorsement Guidance Document
- Ohio Reading Competencies
- Teacher Leader Endorsement Guidance Document
- Ohio Requirements Crosswalk, Including Ohio Learning Standards
- Guidance on Offering Graduate Credit for Workshops/Conferences
Continuing Program Review
Ohio institutions may select one of the three options below for continuing program review:
- Limited State Review [available only to programs holding full Specialized Professional Association (SPA) recognition]: This option requires submission of evidence to the Ohio Department of Higher Education of evidence demonstrating alignment to Ohio-Specific Requirements, e.g. Value-Added, Dyslexia, Ohio Standards for the Teaching Profession, Ohio School Operating Standards - To be completed by midpoint of unit's national accreditation cycle
- CAEP Program Review with Feedback as part of Unit Accreditation Review. CAEP Technical Guide for this option is forthcoming. The Chancellor's program review for programs using this option will follow the CAEP Technical Guide.- To be completed as part of the unit's national accreditation cycle
- State Program Review - To be completed by midpoint of unit's national accreditation cycle
Please direct questions about the Ohio educator preparation program proposal process to: firstname.lastname@example.org.