International Students

Ohio Find It HereAbout Ohio

Higher Education

  • More than 200 accredited public and private institutions of higher education delivering world-class education.

  • The Ohio Innovation Exchange (OIEx) connects the academic, laboratory and other resources at Ohio research universities with businesses across Ohio and the globe. OIEx connects industry to those resources, fostering collaboration and economic development.

  • The Ohio Supercomputer Center connects students at Ohio colleges/universities with medical centers, library systems, the international research and education network of Internet2, and more.

  • Ohio’s higher education offers Internships and “Co-ops” (which can often be applied as curricular practical training (CPT) and optional practical training (OPT)) providing students with real-world experience and on the job training.


Life & Culture


Information for International Students

Explore Careers

  • Compare your personal interests with the many career and occupation options available

  • Research occupations based on industry, education, or salary at

  • Find colleges/universities in Ohio that provide world-class study toward your career or occupation choice.

J-1 Exchange Visitor Program Resource

  • J-1 Visa (Exchange Visitor Program) participants must demonstrate their English language proficiency.

    Sponsors are responsible to take steps to assure that each program participant, J-1 Scholar, has the English language proficiency to participate in his or her program and to function on a day-to-day basis. A sponsor must verify an applicant's English language proficiency through a recognized English language test, by signed documentation from an academic institution or English language school, or through a documented interview conducted by the sponsor either in-person or by videoconferencing, or by telephone if videoconferencing is not a viable option.

Information for Parents of International Students

Academic Excellence:

In Ohio, we believe it is our duty to welcome your student and to offer exemplary academic opportunities in the classroom and throughout the higher education experience so that your student is positioned for success in his or her study and career. Ohio’s colleges and universities are all regionally accredited and known around the world for their academic excellence, innovations, leading technology, acclaimed faculty and vastly diverse campus and community life. Many Ohio intuitions are ranked in Forbes, US News and World Report, the Princeton Review and other national publications.


Ohio colleges and universities offer education options for every budget. Many of Ohio’s four-year universities accept credits transferred from our two-year colleges, a practice that often saves families thousands of dollars and provides students the opportunity to pursue additional or advanced degrees.


Students’ safety on Ohio’s campuses is a top priority for every college and university in our state. Your student can choose from a variety of urban or rural campus settings and feel secure that safety is a vital part of what makes Ohio great.

More information

Information for Ohio Businesses

Employing Highly Skilled Foreign Talent

The following basic information is meant solely to distinguish a business’s opportunity to employ temporary foreign workers under an H-1B visa from a business’s opportunity to employ foreign students under a study visa.

Employer Must Petition for the Authorized Worker

Work authorization under an H-1B visa requires the employer to submit a petition to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). USCIS determines if the petition is subject to the current annual cap for the H-1B category. Although exceptions exist, Congress has set the current annual cap at 65,000 authorized H-1B visas to be selected under the national lottery system.

The H-1B visa is initially valid for three (3) years and can then be extended for another three (3) years. Qualified extensions may apply.

H-1B visa petition fees vary based on a variety of factors; however, all petitioners must pay a base filing fee of $325 for each petition filed.

Student Must Find Employment

Under federal law, U.S. businesses may employ highly skilled international student visa holders before and/or after the student has graduated from his/her program of study. All practical training opportunities are authorized by the student’s college or university.

  • Prior to degree completion, international students can work part-time for a business in an internship-like relationship called Curricular Practical Training (CPT). CPT may or may not earn the student college credit. CPT employment must be related to the student’s program of study.

  • After degree completion, all student visa holders may work for 12 months and students who earned a degree in a STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) field may be employed under OPT for 36 months (three years) in that field.

  • Search millions of resumes and post job openings for free, use advanced search and filter tools to narrow your search to the most promising resumes, and access Ohio-specific information on everything from wage trends to state incentives for providing job training.

Different Student Visa Types

United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (I.C.E.) regulations govern the conditions that authorize students to enter the United States and study in Ohio. All foreign-born individuals choosing to come to Ohio to study must enter the country under one of three nonimmigrant, temporary visa categories – the “F-1,” “J-1” or “M-1.”

The following information is not a complete tutorial on available visas or visa requirements, limitations or opportunities. This information is for the sole purpose of providing you with a basic-level understanding of frequently used terminology and notice of opportunity.

An “F” visa holder is a student attending a full-time degree or academic program. The student can remain here as long as it takes the student to finish his or her course of study (EXAMPLE: earn a bachelor’s or graduate-level degree).

A “J” visa holder takes college courses but will ultimately be required to return home to apply the credit to a degree program in his or her home country.

An “M” visa holder is to obtain a professional certificate of value through non-academic or vocational study (EXAMPLE: earn a specialized technology or manufacturing certification).

The spouse and minor children of the student visa holder are subject to regulations associated with the visa category held by the student.

Visa Category Criteria and Description Highlights

Objective is to Obtain a U.S. Degree

For students attending a full-time academic program at a school, college or university; valid for as long as it takes the student to finish his or her course of study.


Objective is to Obtain Professional Certificate of Value

For students enrolled in non-academic or "vocational study."


Objective is to take U.S. college courses and apply credit to foreign (home) degree

Foreign students have the opportunity to study at American IHE, or participate in a student internship program that will fulfill the educational objectives of the student’s degree program in his or her home country.

J-1 Interns

Objective is to work in an internship similar to OPT

Students must be foreign nationals (1) currently enrolled in and pursuing studies at a foreign post-secondary academic institution; or (2) have graduated from such an institution no more than 12 months prior to their exchange visitor program start date.

Benefits to Hiring International Students

These questions may help you analyze your company’s potential benefits:

  • Does your business do or desire to do business outside of the United States?

  • Do your customers speak languages other than English?

  • Would your business grow with the employment of additional highly skilled talent?

  • Could your business grow with increased productivity, research, innovation and knowledge?

  • Would hiring STEM OPT students, with practical knowledge of their home country – your foreign markets – and who speak your customers’ language, benefit your business?

  • Could your business benefit from a STEM OPT hire who, after three years of working for your company, could convert to employment in your markets abroad or an H-1B worker here in Ohio?