Military Transfer Assurance Guides
Military Transfer Assurance Guides (MTAGs) provide a statewide guarantee that certain types of military training, experience, and/or coursework align to existing college and university courses and will be awarded appropriate credit. The complete list of MTAGs approved by the Ohio Department of Higher Education (ODHE) can be found at transfercredit.ohio.gov (click on "Military").
MTAGs currently align with the Ohio Transfer Module (OTM), Transfer Assurance Guides (TAGs), and Career-Technical Assurance Guides (CTAGs). However, this is only a small portion of an institution’s course inventory. Through statewide training provided by the Ohio Department of Higher Education, institutions are required to evaluate military training, experience, and coursework for potential alignment with their own courses and programs. For assistance with this process, please refer to the Ohio Values Veterans toolkit and the Train the Trainer program created by Ohio’s public institutions.
- Webinar about MTAGs in CEMS and on Transfercredit.ohio.gov (2017)
Recorded webinar about Military Transfer Assurance Guides being incorporated into the Course Equivalency Management System and transfercredit.ohio.gov. A streaming link to the webinar can be found here, and downloaded version can be found here.
Military Transfer Assurance Guides & Other Military Credit - For Students
To earn potential college credit for training, experience, or coursework you have received while in the Armed Forces you will need to submit your Joint Service Transcript (Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard) or your Community College of the Air Force (Air Force) transcript to the institution you are attending. Typically this goes to the office of admissions. If you have any coursework that carries a statewide guarantee (MTAG) that credit and course equivalency information will be automatically posted. For other training, experience, and coursework you will need to self-advocate on your respective campus. Meet with an academic advisor, faculty advisor, transfer credit specialist, etc.. and ask about options for having your military coursework evaluated. Some alternative methods to this evaluation process could be utilizing an institutions' credit-by-exam options (test out of certain courses), portfolio assessment (where you assemble a portfolio of your training to apply it to a specific course or degree requirement). Some institutions will award general education or degree specific credit based on pre-deployment training, or multi-cultural training you received while in the Armed Forces (credit for overseas deployments). If applicable to you, please make sure to ask your institution if they award credit for this and what documentation is required from you.
- Request your Joint Service Transcript (Click on 'How to request an official transcript'....for Army, Navy, Marines, & Coast Guard)
- Request your Community College of the Air Force Transcript (Click on 'Order a Transcript' on the right side)
- Ohio's public colleges and universities campus points of contact (reach out to the military credit contact)
Military Transfer Assurance Guide Memos (MTAG Announcements)
Click here to see the complete list of MTAG Announcements
- 1.16.2015 (Physics & Engineering Technology)
- 9.4.2015 (Information Technology)
- 9.30.2015 (Geography)
- 11.25.2015 (Air Transportation)
- 11.25.2015 (Music)
- 2.26.2016 (1) (Geography & Engineering Technology)
- 2.26.2016 (2) (Criminal Justice)
- 2.26.2016 (3) (Dietetics)
- 2.26.2016 (4) (Engineering Technology)
- 6.1.2016 (Engineering Technology)
- 8.19.2016 (Emergency Medical Technician)
- 10.31.2016 (Photojournalism)
- 1.23.2017 (Emergency Medical Technician)
- 8.22.2017 (Engineering Technology)
- 11.13.2017 (Administrative & Professional Support)
- 12.1.2017 (Emergency Medical Technician)
- 4.26.2018 (Engineering Technology)
- 6.22.2018 (Information Technology)
- 8.15.2018 (Information Technology)
- 12.20.2018 (Army - Practical Nursing to Associate Degree Nursing)
- 12.20.2018 (CCAF - Practical Nursing to Associate Degree Nursing)
Should you have any questions about the documents on this page, please feel free to contact Jared Shank at (614) 466-5812 or email@example.com.
Information for Educators
Awarding of College Credit for Military Training/Experience
Since the introduction of Ohio GI Promise, all 36 Ohio public colleges and universities have been committed to the acceptance and awarding of college credit for training and experience in the United States Armed Forces or National Guard, as long as it has been approved by the American Council on Education or a regional accrediting body, such as the Higher Learning Commission.
Embracing H.B. 488
Amended Substitute House Bill Number 488 from the 130th Ohio General Assembly is a reflection of a strong desire to make Ohio a great place for veterans and service members to live and work. The widely supported bill passed both the House and Senate unanimously and was signed into law by Governor John Kasich on Monday, June 16, 2014. Many of the recommendations from the Ohio Values Veterans Report are included in H.B. 488, as well as a few additional items. The majority of the H.B. 488 requirements for Ohio's public institutions of higher education must be implemented by December 31, 2014.